Ex-snooker boss Ian Doyle "died for three minutes" after being given hospital all clear

(In article talks about seeing his deceased father James as his heart stopped beating).



December 10, 2019 - Reported [here]. Former sports agency boss Ian Doyle has told how he “died for three minutes” in a horror heart drama after being given the all clear by a hospital.

Ian, 79,- ex-manager of snooker multi-world champ Stephen Hendry - says he “saw” his deceased father James after collapsing at his plush home near Stirling.

Only the quick actions of his wife Kate, 70, first-aid trained neighbour Craig Bryce, and an ambulance crew, saved him from certain death.

Ian, who now devotes his time to charity work and local community affairs, has asked health bosses for answers over his treatment but says he would never dream of taking legal action against the NHS.

The grandad of 10, told the Record:”I collapsed and it appears my heart stopped for three minutes. I died for three minutes.

“Had it not been for my wife’s quick thinking calling my neighbour Craig Bryce who is fully trained in first aid, I was gone.

“Also the ambulance crew who were on site within minutes pumped a drug atropine into me which helped me feel quite normal again.

“They were brilliant.

“The crew confirmed that it was my heart but not a heart attack.”

And he said that during the three minutes when his heart was stopped he felt and saw a presence.

He said:”I was with my dad James who died in 1994 aged 90. It was quite something, and I’ll never forget it.”

Ian was rushed to the Forth Valley Hospital intensive care and later fitted with a pacemeaker.

He had previously been taken to hospital in January but released with a clean bill of health.

He took a dizzy spell two months later and then the following month - in April - collapsed as his heart stopped.

He was latter diagnosed with bradycardia, which affects impulses to the heart.

Ian added:”When I was in A&E I told one of the staff I had not received the blood results from January.

“That member of staff went to the lab and I knew by the look on the individual’s face I should not have been allowed out in January.

“I am not going to try to sue anyone, I just think the doctor in January made a mistake in releasing me, but I understand we all make mistakes and if you were to see the pressure doctors and nurses are operating under you can see how.

“I have nothing but respect for the doctors and nurses who looked after me in April they are the real angels in our society.

“The nurses and doctors at the hospital were fantastic in the care I received.”

Four days after his near-death experience in April Ian received a letter from the hospital concerning his January admission.

He said:”Incredibly it stated all was OK.”

Local SNP MSP Keith Brown has raised the matter with Forth Valley Health Board.

Bosses have told the MSP they are still investigating the case.

Ian added:”My concern is that if it were not for Kate, my neighbour or the ambulance crew I would have died, and I’m worried about anyone else having a similar experience.

“The nurses and doctors at the hospital are pure angels. I can’t praise them enough. But they are being asked to do the impossible with so few staff and resources.”

A Forth Valley Health Board spokeswoman said:”We are aware of this patient’s concerns and will be in touch with him very shortl through his elected MSP.”